Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Men. vs. Women


In extension of the free write we did in-class when Woolf says, "I pondered...what effect poverty has on the mind; and what effect wealth has on the mind". I think that what she is really getting at is if you have wealth then you most likely have leisure as well as the freedom, space, and liberty to let your mind and your thoughts develop. Whereas if you live in poverty you wouldn't posses those things and your mind wouldn't have the leisure because it would be filled with other thoughts of things such as meeting your needs and your family's needs. In this state your mind would be preoccupied with many other thoughts that are most likely neither
intellectual nor mind stimulating.

On the other hand I think that Woolf is using wealth in terms of men and poverty in the sense of women. I think she uses the terms in this way to have the concept of poverty to be motivating to women. She wants women to take action and stand up for the injustices between men and women.

No comments:

Post a Comment